Wednesday 5 December 2012

Compare / Contrast and Cause / Effect Essay

Hi everyone!

Here is the essay we worked on in class today.

-->
Intro: 2- 4 sentences
-Broad Explanations
-Thesis Statement

Body Paragraphs
- Topic Sentence
- Cause (What are the personality traits of you and your partner? Are they similar or are they different?)
- Effect (How do the personality traits affect your partner’s relationships with others? How do your personality traits affect your relationships with others?)
- Concluding sentence

Conclusion: 3-5 sentences
-Thesis statement
-Summary of personality traits
-Summary of affect on relationships
           

          Rachel and I are sisters who have lived together for the majority of our lives. As a result, we have many similarities. However, our personalities can also be quite different. These personality traits have influenced our relationships with other people in different ways.
            First of all, Rachel has a very outgoing and spontaneous personality, whereas I am mostly timid and conscientious. Rachel’s adventurous and tries new things, she does things without thinking and nothing seems to get in her way. I am always nervous about trying new things and I don’t like change, in fact, meeting new people gives me anxiety; I dislike interacting with people in unfamiliar situations. These traits have led Rachel and I to have very different relationships with people. Rachel has a huge group of friends that is continuously expanding and I have a smaller more intimate group of friends.
            Second, Rachel is very witty and garrulous, I, on the other hand, am very reserved; a much better listener than speaker! I spending time with friends and I often listen to their stories and give advice. I rarely attend big parties, whereas, Rachel is the life of the party; she is always the center of attention. Rachel's personality traits have molded her into a very optimistic person and as a result, she has a very positive influence on other people, she makes people laugh and have a great time so people love to be around her. Being reserved and a great listener have a completely different affect on my relationships.  I am much more comfortable in one - on - one situations; it is hard for me to get a word in when I am with groups of people because people see me as more of a listener. One downside of being a good listener is that people love complaining to me about their problems. Consequently, many come to talk to me only to complain, so it’s not always a great experience for me. I sometimes envy Rachel's spontaneous and care-free personality because she makes so many positive connections with people.
            Rachel and I have many similarities and differences, which influence our relationships. Rachel is outgoing, spontaneous, witty and garrulous, and in contrast, I am timid, conscientious, reserved and a great listener. As a result of these characteristics, Rachel has many positive relationships. Nothing fazes her because she’s always laughing and having a good time with her friends. I have very intimate relationships with friends which are very important to me but sometimes these relationships become difficult because people sometimes only talk to me about their problems and I never get the opportunity to speak, which can make our relationships one-sided.


No comments:

Post a Comment